Put the Conditioning in Your HVAC
People tend to think of their HVAC as a “one or the other” type thing – it’s either cooling in the summer or heating in the winter. But they tend to think a lot about the “C” in that acronym.
An effective and efficient HVAC system isn’t just conditioning the temperature of the air in your house, it’s conditioning the air itself. Allergens, humidity, pollutants, and more can all be mediated or even eliminated with the right Indoor Air Quality HVAC equipment. What is that equipment?
- High MERV Filters – Maximum Efficiency Reporting Values, or MERV ratings, let you know how well a filter can screen out contaminants. Developed by the independent American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), the ratings range from 1 to 16 based on the average particle size the filter can screen for. See the EPA’s chart
- Humidifier/Dehumidifier Systems – Based on your region or needs, this equipment integrates into your HVAC system to control the amount of moisture present, helping to reduce the risk of mold build-up or to add needed moisture to dry warm air.
- Air Cleaners – This category can take on many forms, all aimed at removing particulates, allergens and other pollutants. They range from recessed air cleaners to UV lights and Ionizers.
- Ventilation – Houses today are built more air-tight than ever, making the introduction of fresh air more critical in an efficient, controlled manner than in the past. Make sure to look at a “smart” solution (like the Arzel CoolMizer) that doesn’t just add air but does it in a controlled manner that considers the incoming air temperature and humidity levels for adequate ventilation in every part of your home
One key to making all these different systems perform at peak efficiency? HVAC Zoning control. By breaking your home into separate zones of control, you can:
- Make sure that cold air returns perform as designed, and pull air from even unused portions of your house, cycling that air through your filter regularly
- Keep moisture levels in all areas of your home controlled, avoiding the possibility of mold build-up
- Maintain steady airflow, even in the “shoulder” seasons of Spring & Fall, making sure air cleaners are always treating your indoor air
- Maximize the integration of fresh vented air to the whole house
The author Simon Sinek once wrote – “It’s better to have a great team than a team of greats,” and the right HVAC zoning system can make your HVAC Indoor Air Quality equipment work as a team, delivering comfort and healthy air at peak efficiency.
With a Lifetime Guarantee on its US-made equipment and a Comfort Guarantee, Arzel Zoning solutions can help you increase the comfort and quality of your home. Find a contractor today.
Want more info on making your home’s air cleaner? Check out this interactive demo house from the EPA.